I have always had an interest in lighting up a cabinet, but I didn’t want to have a cord coming out of the back or down the leg so it could be plugged in. It had to be battery powered and use little voltage so the battery would last. The battery compartment would also have to be hidden, and all wiring invisible. Bulbs also had to have the capability of being replaced if they burned out. It was a bit of thinking and relying on something I made many years ago in an electronics course I took while being trained as a shop teacher.
Small 3mm soft white led lights (used in scale HO trains) perfect for the liquor cabinet.
Working on the wiring channel. I plan on routing deeper and placing the wires in a flexible plastic tube. I will later cover the whole thing up with JB Weld and veneer over top of it.
The lights follow the curve and are operated by a hidden micro switch which will turn the lights on when the door is opened and off when closed. The switch will be hidden by a Krenov style spring loaded door catch.
Once the circuitry was completed, I turned my attention to all the offsets and edge details I need to complete so the cabinet appeared Walnut from the outside and Alder for the inside.
Something beautiful about using a well tuned plane and getting full width shavings which show off the lumber core assembly.
Rabbeting the front left side panel so the door edge will be somewhat hidden. It’s a nice detail but since everything was curved already I had to trap the panel at the correct angle so the rabbet was square to the edge.
Completing applied edges in Walnut to hide the lumber core. Three layers of cork on these cauls distributed proper pressure for a seamless look.
Looking a lot more like solid wood now 🙂
Then some early morning burnishing to polish the surfaces. The wood, not the Mustang 🙂
Milled a rebate into the back part of the cabinet to receive the back panel. Seeing all the layers of wood reminds me how much work was involved in making this cabinet. Not something you want to mess up on.
Began the door levelers for the bottom. Since the door will be a heavy beast I did 3 as Krenov did on the Tasmanian Black-wood Cabinet he built.
Really happy with how this cabinet is turning out. Stay tuned!